Hang up already.
Back at school again. Seven of my 15 1st grade students showed today. Pretty good. The other class had four. I was so mean that I'm thinking I'll lose at least one more by tomorrow. =) I had to phone one parent to ask if their son was going home on the bus or not and I got to sit through yet another "interesting" answering machine message. Let me first say, at least this child had a working number and he had it memorized!
Yes, this is a miracle at my school. Anyway, the voice informed me, "You don't return my calls so I'm not gonna return yours." This burned me up. Especially since it was the first day and she was already wasting my time because she couldn't be bothered to fill out his transportation info. Fortunately (?!) I had my 7 students standing right there so I left a short, emotionless message. Guess what? She didn't return my call. Shocker. Kid went home on the bus per school rules. I can't tell you how many times I have had to listen to rude, offensive or just plain crazy answering machine messages. What are they thinkin'? I've sat through 15 seconds of crappily recorded music (funny how you can still hear the "meaningful words" though!) I've been told that if I'm a crazy b*itch I should hang up (yeah, I should have!) I've sat through messages that sound like those horrific late night tv ads for "personal connections." Aargh...I keep reminding myself, at least there's a working phone number...



8 Comments:
Wow! That's a whole other world from my school community. Unbelievable, really!
I'm teaching summer school, too. I had eighteen students on my roster, but I get about 12 who show up each day. They are sweet, but they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Oh, well...
Wow! And people wonder why kids are the way they are today!
Sorry you had to go back so soon.
That is sad. I worked in childcare for fourteen years though, and I know exactly what you mean.
That would be very annoying. What is wrong with this world...
I can't imagine what home must be like after some of the answering machine messages I have heard. I've had the whispering mistresses of late night TV, but what killed me was at the end she said, "And may God bless you." I felt sick to my stomach. I dialed the number again to make sure it dialed correctly the first time.
Enjoy your summer school class.
This sounds like my daily life too.... with the phone garbage. These people put these phone numbers in their police reports expecting a call back from the detective assigned to the case. But yet I still get all the same crap you get...offensive rap music that plays forever, rude greetings, stupid comments...just totally inappropriate stuff when you should be expecting a professional call. Geez!
That is beyond freaky-deaky. Sorry about that experience.
Well I called a parent this year and the message was part of some song that had something to do with, "don't you think my body is sexy, tell me how much you want me baby, etc." Needless to say I got a good laugh out of it.
Amanda
Post a Comment
<< Home