Xin Nian Hao and Gung Hay Fat Choy 2007!
Thanks to my niece K. and SIL D. for attending the local Families with Children from China Chinese New Year. We went last year and knew it would be a lovely event. Even so, a second year without actually being a family with a child from China is the pits. "Hi, I'm Shannon and I'm a waiting parent. Yes, 12 months since LID. No, no idea when." It will take mucho willpower to go next year if Ellie isn't here!
I did meet and reconnect with wonderful families. And I heard some great "gotcha" stories and saw many precious children-boys and girls of all ages- running around. I know, it does happen!

Year of the Pig. The pig balloons (and last year's dog balloons) are so cute!)

As beautiful as she is, K. is not into having her picture taken right now!
Show me your beautiful bracelet! The FCC had very nice silk goodie bags for all the children.
As tired as we were, we couldn't leave before the Dragon made his appearance.
"Shoes for me?" K. got her new outfit the day before. The lady who sells all the Chinese goodies did not have the right size shoes at her booth so she brought them to the CNY event just for K!
Very talented musicians. Can't recall the name of the instrument right now. Any takers? Update: guzheng or Chinese zither 
K's favorite part of the event! Dancing. She even unconsciously bowed after the song was over. Made us giggle!
Update: Haven't found anything definitive, but I think both Xin Nian Hao and Gung Hay Fat Choy work. One means literally Happy New Year and the other something like Good Fortune to You! Feel free to correct.



14 Comments:
Happy Chinese New Year! Looks like you CNY event was heaps of fun!
Looks like a lot of fun. It is hard to attend w/o our little ones but they will be here to share in the fun soon!!!
Keep smilin!
P.S. Xin Nian Hao - Happy New Year!
Thanks Doris- I think that's in Mandarin and the Gung Hay Fat Choy is in Cantonese. It's in all of my children's books that way! I'd better verify! Either way, Happy CNY!
The instrument is a guzheng or Chinese zither.
:)
Thank you, Anonymous!
That looks like fun! I think it's great that you attned those functions. I don't have the heart to attend things like that on my own...
Happy CNY to you
Happy Chinese New Year! This better be our year!
She looks really cute in her little chinese outfit! Gong xi fa cai!
K looks marvy! What fun that part was.
We MUST NOT BE WAITING next CNY!!! No way!
Have a great New Year :0)
Gong Hey Fa Choi! From the Chan Faction...anyway you pronouce it...it is still "Happy New Year" to you Shannon. Hope this is your year! Love you
Very cute, looks like a lot of fun!! Happy Chinese New Year to you too!! This will be the best year for both of us!!!
That looks like a fun party. You are very welcome for the quilt square. I had offered you one a long time ago, and just now got around to getting them out. Better late than never! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home