A Little Inspiration for the 3rd Week of School

This is from Riney Jordan's website. I was telling Joannah, a fellow educator, about him. Mr. Jordan was our "inspirational" guest speaker at convocation this year. He was a hoot so I thought I'd check out his site. I enjoyed this story and wanted to share it.
"Why We Do What We Do" -Author Unknown
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued: "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"
To corroborate, he said to another guest, You're a teacher, Susan," he said. "Be honest. What do you make?"
Susan, who had a reputation of honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make?"
"I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel like a slap in the face if the student did not do his or her very best."
"I can make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence."
"I can make parents tremble in fear when I call home."
"You want to know what I make?"
"I make kids wonder."
"I make them question."
"I make them criticize."
"I make them apologize and mean it."
"I make them write."
"I make them read, read, read."
"I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, and definitely beautiful over and over and over again, until they will never misspell either one of those words again."
"I make them show all their work in math and hide it all on their final drafts in English."
"I make them understand that if you have the brains, then follow your heart... and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you pay them no attention."
"You want to know what I make?"
"I make a difference."
"What about you?"



7 Comments:
That was awesome!
Teachers rock!
Amen, sister! We teachers do rock. Thank you. Thank you very much!
Fabulous!
I agree, teachers do rock!
Thanks for sharing...
Yes, teachers are truly unique.
Shannon,
Hi there! I read your comment regarding the "girls" on Connie's Blog. You mentioned Mt. Trashmore. I live in a neighboring city, my LID is 2/17/06, and I am a teacher. Are you on the precious pandas yahoo group? Anyway, just thought I would introduce myself. FYI, www.mcdonaldbondi.blogspot.com....
Wow! I love that. I will be passing it on to a couple of my nieces in education too!
Thank you :0)
I love this story. It's true and frustrating that being a teacher is perceived as sub-par employment. Did you know that education is one of the few "human service" professions that doesn't have a code of ethics? It blows my mind!
Post a Comment
<< Home