The Choice of China
Marianne (who made this lovely dress, BTW) saw my 19 months since LID post and asked me, Why China? Well, I wish I could say that I had a magical connection, but really it was logically my best choice. So I'll preface with the sorry if this rambles a bit and please understand, these were my feelings/facts at the time, so I'd appreciate no flames! Thanks.
Back in 2002, Michele, a woman that I worked with (Michele-hi!) told me that she was in the process of adopting from China. From her story, I know she truly felt drawn to China. Anyway, this was really the first I knew of the possibility of adopting from there and when I went home, I mentioned it to my mom. She actually said something to the effect of, "Well in a few years it might be something to consider." A few years later, it was time to consider! Life hadn't progressed very far in the starting a family arena and when Michele sent an email with updates on her second little girl, this whole journey was finally set in motion. I wanted to be a mom and as unromantic as it may sound, I went with what was most logical/right personally. For me, being pregnant as a single woman was not my most ideal route. That desire to be pregnant hasn't really hit me! I was concerned about the unpredictibility of our adoptive legal system (I know, many turn out fine, but I've seen several that have not.) As a single I also had concerns about open adoption, which (for good and bad) is the current domestic adoption trend. Guatamala was unstable (IMO) and adoption in Africa & Taiwan weren't as prevalent even back just 2 years ago. I looked into Kazakhstan & Russia, of course, but eventually realized the local Fam*lies with Ch*ldren from China was a great support system, a great group of children with similar backgrounds if that was something Ellie might need. I have two cousins that are half Chinese and that connection was kind of nice, too. It came down to what can I provide for my child to celebrate & support her in the best possible way. When a suprise singles opening came along so quickly, it seemed the most obvious choice as well. If I had waited another year, I'm not sure what path I would be on now that singles are excluded from the program and alternately, the typical family structure hasn't transpired! Anyway, not the most inspiring post, but I must say, when I received that e-mail from Michele in August 2005 and suddenly realized I could be a mom, it was a brilliant moment for me. =)



3 Comments:
Sounds very similar to my reasons too. Everyone's choice is a personal one and there should never be judgement from someone else. (Well....in a perfect world anyway. LOL!)
Sounds like a very logical journey to me! I hope your wait isn't too much longer. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'm more in the "in a few years it might be something to consider" place. :-) I'm still hoping we can have one more child the old fashioned way but as I get older I know that, due to the MS, pregnancy as an "older" person perhaps is not the best option.
Anyhow, thanks again. Back into Lurker mode!
Marianne
Was this Michele from TME?
Post a Comment
<< Home