Lecture Notes

Just went to Rumor Queen's site and discovered many of the locals had emailed her about Dr. Jane Liedtke's talk given yesterday. How weird to see info I had first-hand, on the RQ site. The little chat I attended is now 'famous'... sort of!
The CCAA is overwhelmed idea is not really newsbreaking material. In fact I would rather the babies were just less in number. But you know how we grab onto any bit of news! =) So the talk: Dr. L spoke mostly about taking your children back to China. As my mom mentioned, it would nice to *get* my child first before I worry about going back! Nevertheless, it was interesting to hear her take on how to prepare your child for a 'heritage tour', possible dificulties which will be encountered during the Olympics, how to minimize possible bad emotional triggers like survivors guilt after visiting the orphanage, and what your file at the orphanage and CCAA can contain, including some amazing finds in the files. She also suggested to be wary of 'red notes' supposedly attached to your child when abandoned, but stated that her own daughter had her birthdate pinned to her clothing. Hearing about the horrible state of some orphanages, mostly the ones not used for IA, was awful. Our little ones have got to survive a rough life while we wait to be united. It is heartbreaking and frustrating to know we can't do anything.
I will add that was also fascinating to hear about a handful of adopted daughters of China that have actually been able to find their birthparents. Some amazing stories.
Anyway, that's a quick summary of the talk. Afterward I felt kind of lost and in awe of the situation I am in, compounded by being "in the dark" as to when Ellie will be home. With my nephew due to arrive soon, I am thinking about all the things I can't provide my adopted daughter. Basic stuff like her health history, labor stories, her exact birthdate. Guess we will figure out how to deal with these things the best we can.
I am looking forward to the local Moon Festival this upcoming weekend. Hopefully with all the children there, I'll leave that event in brighter spirits!



7 Comments:
Sounds interesting! I would like to hear her speak sometime.
That sounds like an interesting topic. Thanks for sharing it. I am constantly thinking about the missing info. I can't provide her, but I think all that we will provide will offset the missing info....or at least I pray it does.
Thanks for sharing, Shannon. I would have loved to have heard her speak.
I hope, whatever the situation(s) causing the slowdown, that we see improvement soon. Oh, to get our sweet girls home and safe!
I read that RQ story this morning, it sooo saddened me the amount of orphanages there are. And I think I read somewhere, each orphanage usually houses up to 300 children?
How great that you were actually at the lecture!
Shannon,
It was fun running into you at the lecture. I, too, really enjoyed the seminar.
How great that you were able to go to one of her lectures. Thanks for sharing what you learned.
I also worry about the explanations that I will give my daughter when she is old enough to understand. It's hard trying to figure out what's the best way. But I'm confident that we'll all figure it out. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home