Thursday, August 03, 2006

As if there wasn't enough to worry about...

BEIJING - Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated in southern China as Typhoon Prapiroon slammed into the mainland on Thursday, pounding an area already battered by storms with more heavy rains and winds, state media said. Stormy weather was forecast from Thursday to Saturday for the provinces of Guangdong, Fujian, Jiangxi, Hunan and Hainan, China's southernmost island and a popular tourist destination. Authorities evacuated about 400,000 residents in low-lying areas of Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan, which lies about 370 miles southwest of Hong Kong in the South China Sea, Xinhua said. Ferry and railway services linking Hainan to the mainland were also suspended.

Typhooon Prapiroon

7 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said...

Maybe the CCAA will decide to evacuate some babies to their waiting parents earlier? (I can wish can't I?)

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said...

I almost went to school for the same thing, what a great job to have.. I ended up as a Sp Ed major and teaching the ED kids. I had an awesome abnormal psych prof in college and went with it!!!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger C's Mom said...

Egad! I hope nothing awful comes of that situation :o(

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I went to China in 1997, we got stuck in Hong King during a Typhoon--there we were in the hotel watching pieces of roofing and ceiling flying by our window- but my Mom & I got some rest (believe it or not) watching CNN, and How to Speak English lessons on a local China TV station(what hoot!)....and were more rested heading into China. No worse than a bad tropic storm here.......

Hang in there!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Wow, what an experience! Anonymous, are you my secret pal? I'm grabbing for clues before time runs out! =)

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nope, not even close--just a local single China Mom who found your blog :)

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Man, I thought I had a good clue for identifying my Secret Pal! Secret Pal: I'm still on your trail! =)
Well, Anonymous, thanks for stopping by and for your notes. It's great to know there are so many cool local China Moms around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home