Somewhere Out There
I went on a date last Saturday (yeah, don't hold your breath!) and as I was on a double date (THANKFULLY!) my friend brought up that I was adopting from China. The guy asked Don't you want to have your own children? I was infuriated by this comment previously by someone who had some right to know the answer, but who(m?) I thought was much better with "presenting" questions like this. My mom had suggested that most people (hopefully!) just hadn't thought about the semantic implications of this type of question. So after a moment I gulped down my fury and all the thoughts that were bombarding me (whaddaya mean my OWN? what if I couldn't physically have a child? check please,I am soooo outta here...) and tried to answer. I tend to get overwhelmed emotionally and my language skills become totally non-existent. I think all that came out was something kind of non-sensical like, "Because she's already out there."
Anyway, I think I'm over dating for good. And when I saw this video "All I really Want" by Stephen Curtis Chapman over at the Gallants site today, I found myself bawling. This is not really my music "genre" but it's been that kind of week! I guess whether Ellie is still "fairy dust" or already waiting for me at a SWI she is "out there" and we both really want and need each other.
Oh, and that comment isn't the overall reason I'm not seeing this man again. You know, no "sparks" and the fact he wore the same Navy issue glasses my dad wears! =0
ALL I REALLY WANT (by Steven Curtis Chapman) Music Video Code provided by Video Code Zone



9 Comments:
I think your mom is right. I have found that many people don't say things the "right way" when talking to me about the adoption, including family members. But then I think back to my own ignorance before I started this journey, and then I have to show them some grace.
FWIW, I don't think you should give up on dating. There may be a really good guy out there for you and Elena. :-)
You go girl...perfect answer.
I agree with your mom too.
However, I suppose I am a bit more jaded than sweet Joannah. Overall, I feel like I don't want to deal with the dating scene either. I will say, however, that our daughters will make screening potential dates FAR quicker and easier. The 'jackass' will usually be evident right away in how they respond to our children...or the idea of our children!
Ditto to Joannah's comment....
Don't give up yet... the rest of the world would be missing someone great!!
Good for you for taking the high road.
Keep smilin!
Pretty powerful song. Elena is lucky to have such a role model. What a wonderful woman you have become!
Oh Shannon... I just cried during that video.
That guy was completely rude. What kind of first date manners are those? Doesn't he know that questions of that nature are off limits? I didn't accept a second date from someone who ordered before me and walked in front of me. I say CUT HIM LOOSE HONEY! I just wish I knew a nice single guy for you.
Amanda B.
I have decided, until I get Tate here and settle,to stay away from dating. I didn't want the emotional state of the wait get in the way of any decision concerning a relationship... I so worry that my "X" will get in touch and I will be JELLO again!!! He would give me a sense of security but would be the wrong choice right now.
Lisa
Good for you giving it a shot though. I am such a wuss!!
Post a Comment
<< Home