Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Got Books?!

Joannah recently received the book 'Moonbeams, Dumplings & Dragon Boats', a very beautiful and informative book for parents and older children about Chinese Culture. This gave me a great idea. Being a speech-language therapist in a school *really* pushing reading (language) and a total book lover (Thanks Mom!), I'm doing a "Two for Tuesday Check Out This Book" section. In fact, my "send to" Secret Pal, who isn't so secret anymore (ok, so I forgot I was signed in when I made a "secret" common on her blog!) graciously endures the books I include with each month's theme! And yes, I have officially run out of things to blog about since this wait is taking FOREVER!!!



So for my first Two for Tuesday Book Favorites, I would like to suggest 'Pinkalicious' by Victoria & Elizabeth Kann. My girls in summer school loved this book and even the boys thought it was funny. You can also use it for a good citizenship/self control read aloud. The illustrators site www.elizabethkann.com/pinkalicious.htm has some really cute coloring pictures to print out.

And since it is still summer, despite Lisa finding Halloween Peeps in the stores, the younger set would really dig 'Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea' by Jan Peck. My niece chimed in with the repetitive part at age 1 1/2). It is a great language learning/chanting book. Peck also wrote Way Up High in a Tall Green Tree which has some more obscure animals (Australian maybe? Hi Lee-Anne!)but has the same kind of word pacing.
Check 'em out, or let me know if your children already have them. Tell me what you think. And if they remind you of other favorites, well, I could really use new suggestions for this school year....only 12 days away... =0

6 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger C's Mom said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I am just now thinking about Jadyn's library. I have a few things already but have to find a way to fill up a fantastic little bookcase I have my eye on ;0)

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Joannah said...

I love book recommendations! Thanks. I'm going to look for Pinkalicious at our first Book Fair in October.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Kim M. said...

Great idea I can't wait to check out your books on Tuesdays. I love to read to my children. It's a great way to hold them close and grab all of their attention.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, here are my two suggestions for you....

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
and
Double Trouble in Walla Walla by Andrew Clements.

Love em both!

Your Secret Pal

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Ahh, The Kissing Hand. A good one. I will check out Double Trouble. THANKS!!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the 2 for Tuesday is a great idea....it gives me yet another reason to spend my days at the local B&N. (can I get a huu-rah)....sorry I've seen way too much televison this summer.
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home