Sunday, January 22, 2006

100 Wishes Quilt

“To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a creative memory notebook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.” (www.originalquilts.com)

As many of you know, my mom is quite the quilter and she promised that she would help me make a 100 Wishes Quilt for Elena. (Amazingly so, as I’ve only made one quilt top in my life and she nearly disowned me after that experience!) Anyway, I’m on a quest for squares and wishes for Elena! If you would like to send one our way please email me.

I’m really excited about this project and hope to show you all the finished product before her 18th birthday! =)

2 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon what a wonderful idea. I am sure I will be able to help with the quilt.
Nancy Letchworth

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon, I just spent the weekend in NYC visiting your cousin, Chris, and he took me to China Town where I found the most beautiful red silk material with gold dragons on it for Elena's quilt...I bought a yard of it and then turned it over and the back side had beautiful violet, blue and yellow hues...Your mom suggested I give you two 10" squares and that way you and Elena can enjoy both sides! I'm so excited about Elena's quilt...Hope you love the material as much as me!! Love always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home