Need Refinishing Advice!

I bought this desk and chair a for Ellie at a flea market. It looks like it is in great shape, the only flaw (that I can determine!) is the stain on the top. The desk top is laminated and I can't find any information on how to deal with this. Any ideas on how to refinish the top or to totally redo it all? I'm at a loss! Many of you have done absolutely amazing home projects!



9 Comments:
I've got nothin'! Sorry...
Maybe Connie will have some good ideas. :-)
Are you going to paint it? If so, prime with KILZ first. I would prime and paint with high gloss white paint. Very cute set!
Tiffany
Ditto what Tiffany says.... I could just see that all white with a cushion to match Eli's room.... I just finished a project (dresser for Tate's room) and will have to photo it and get it posted!!! Magic what a little Kilz and paint will do!!!
Lisa
Ok! My Handyman Hubby said to remove the laminate by using a heat gun on it (Looks like an industrial hairdryer) he said that it is like a veneer and should peal off nicely, then you can sand off the top and refinish it. I think it would look nice if you roughly sanded it all over and did a white wash on it and made it antiqued looking. Then over top you could paint apples all over it or ABC's! ( Or Anne of G.G!)
Show us pics when you are done!
*HUGABUGS*
All good ideas! Thank you!
Yup...I'm in there with Ms. Tiffany too!
You should take the current top off it, sand it down and stain it to match your other furniture. For the top I would would see how it is. If the wood is good then just stain it like the rest. For some reason they put that laminate on it, so the top may have to be replaced with another laminate. Which is an easy fix. They sell it at home depot and is pretty inexpensive. I can really help know!
You interior decorator SIL..lol
I cant wait to see what you come up with....I'm have NO creative bone in my body for that kind of stuff!! Good Luck
Top on / Top off... both ideas would work well! (Top off, would be more work though!) I personally have a thing for glossy white!
Post a Comment
<< Home